At 10:18 AM -0800 11/5/04, Hal Finney wrote:
>Yes, I'm looking at ideas like this for ecash gambling, but you have
>a who-goes-first problem.

Whenever we talk about financial applications, where the assets
represented by one bearer certificate are exchanged for those
represented by another, what's really happening is a redeem-reissue
process anyway. Since it's the underwriters' reputations you're
trusting anyway, we've always assumed that there would be
communication between the underwriters in order to execute, clear,
and settle the trade all at once.

For streaming stuff, we figured that since we were streaming cash for
streaming bits, like movies, or content of some kind, you'd just do
tit for tat, one stream (cash, probably signed probabalistically
tested "coins" in the last iteration that we called "Nicko-mint" :-))
against another, the movie, song, etc being streamed. There's the
"missing last 5 minutes" problem, but I think that, in recursive
auction-settled cash market for digital goods like this (Eric Hughes'
institutional 'pirate' scheme, the 'silk road' stuff, whatever), that
there will always be another source to buy what's left from, once the
intellectual property issues solve themselves because of the auction
process.

For things that aren't useful except in their entirety, like code, or
executables, (or storing money :-)), I've always been a fan of the
Mojo/BitTorrent stuff, where you hash the file into bits, ala m-of-n
Shamir secret splitting, and store/buy them from lots of places at
once.

Cheers,
RAH

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>