----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Parkes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3DES performance

I'm working on a project for a company that involves the use of 3DES. They have
asked me to find out what the overheads are for encrypting a binary file. There
will be quite a lot of traffic coming in (in the region of hundreds of
thousands of files per hour). Has anyone got any figures for 3DES performance?
I've tried bdes on OpenBSD which has given me some useful results.

Good estimates for the speed of many algorithms can be found at http://www.eskimo.com/~weidai/benchmarks.html , while the system is a bit old, the numbers are still relatively valid, considering that you will have other overheads involved. Just to save you a trip 3DES comes in around 10MByte/second, and AES up to 6 times that speed.
Joe

Trust Laboratories
Changing Software Development
http://www.trustlaboratories.com