Amir Herzberg wrote:
3. They did not actually spell out the problem in using SSL in the homepage (like eTrade, for instance). But I think I know the reason (they didn't confirm or deny). I think the reason is that they host their site; in particlar, when I tried accessing it via https, I got an Akamai certificate... [I don't think they liked this observation; now you are led to the unprotected site]

This would appear to be an artefact. If you fetch the page you are redirected to (http://home.americanexpress.com/home/mt_personal.shtml) over HTTPS you'll find it is still an akamai server.