My paper ``Understanding brute force'' explains an attack with a much
better price-performance ratio than the attack described by Biryukov:

   http://cr.yp.to/talks.html#2005.05.27
   http://cr.yp.to/papers.html#bruteforce

Biryukov's central point regarding key amortization was made earlier
(and, I think, more clearly) in my paper. My paper also analyzes the
merits of various defenses against the attack.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago