Eric Rescorla and I have written a paper "Deploying a New Hash Algorithm".
A draft is available at http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/new-hash.ps
and http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/new-hash.pdf .

Here's the abstract:

        As a result of recent discoveries, the strength of hash
        functions such as MD5 and SHA-1 have been called into
        question.  Regardless of whether or not it is necessary to
        move away from those now, it is clear that it will be
        necessary to do so in the not-too-distant future.  This
        poses a number of challenges, especially for certificate-based
        protocols.  We analyze S/MIME, TLS, and IPsec.  All three
        require protocol or implementation changes.  We explain
        the necessary changes, show how the conversion can be done,
        and list what measures should be taken immediately.