On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Arash Partow wrote:
ie: input1 : abcdefg -> h(abcdefg) = 123
   input2 : gabcdef -> h(gabcdef) = 123
   input3 : fgabcde -> h(fgabcde) = 123

I don't have a formal reference for you, but this seems intuitively correct to me: put the strings in a canonical form so that all equivalent strings reduce to the same string, then hash conventionally. Eg., for rotation, the canonical form of a string is the rotation which gives the smallest value when the string is considered a binary number. In other words, alphabetize all the rotations and then take the first one.

                                        -J