----- Original Message ----- From: "Sidney Markowitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NSA Suite B Cryptography

Ian G wrote:
Which is to say, NSA solved its problem and it
is nothing to do with FOSS.

If you wrote a Suite B program and distributed it under a BSD license
after getting a sub-license for the patent from the NSA, presumably I
could take that code, modify it, and then in order to use or distribute
my modified code I would have to obtain my own sublicense from the NSA.

Uhhhh, no. The NSA only licensed the right to use (and sublicense under special circumstances) the patents, they did not purchase the patents, and they do not have exclusive rights to them. You would have to negotiate with Certicom, the NSA would only be an alternative licensing agency under special circumstance.

[snip the rest, it was based on a failed assumption]
Joe