Travis H. wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have a good idea on how to OWF passphrases without
reducing them to lower entropy counts?  That is, I've seen systems
which hash the passphrase then use a PRF to expand the result --- I
don't want to do that.  I want to have more than 160 bits of entropy
involved.

More than 160 bits is a wide-ranging requirement.

Entropy is a highly discussed unit of measure.

Anyway, keep it simple, use a larger hash: SHA-256, SHA-512, or for hash with user-selectable size, MASH:

International standard document ISO/IEC 10118-4:1998, Information technology - Security techniques - Hash-functions - Part 4: Hash-functions using modular arithmetic

Regards,

--

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.