Heyman, Michael wrote:
Internet webcam signals from webcams could emerge as an exotic but effective new tool for securing terrestrial communications against eavesdropping.

> <snip>

Kidding aside, there are some interesting theoretical results about ciphers that utilize a plentiful, publicly available source of random bits. See:

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/context/238746/0

I think the "Rip Van Winkle cipher" was mentioned in Schneier's Applied Cryptography. Also, I vaguely recall another news story (1999?) that reported on an encryption technique that hypothesized a stream of random bits generated by an orbiting satellite.

"Quasar encryption" is likely impractical, but there could be more to it than you think. However, I did think "web cam encryption" was funny. :-)

-James

--
James Muir, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
School of Computer Science, Carleton University