On Fri, 12 May 2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

alan writes:
-+----------

| Probably because most Americans believe they are being spied on
| anyways.  (And have for a very long time.)

Au contraire', it is precisely what, for example,
my spouse would say: "I live a decent life and have
nothing to hide."

I ask people who say they have nothing to hide for their credit card numbers.

Everyone has something to hide.

The point is that you do not have to have done *anything* to be worried. How do you know that your name is not a known alias of some evil nasty terrorist who buggers FBI agents in his spare time?

As this and all security-related lists are composed
of people who are off-center when it comes to risk,
it is us what be the outliers in the distribution
and in no way are our various paranoias widely shared.

The question is "should they be?".

--
"Waiter! This lambchop tastes like an old sock!" - Sheri Lewis