[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I can corroborate the quote in that much of SarbOx and
other recent regs very nearly have a guilty unless proven
innocent quality, that banks (especially) and others are
called upon to prove a negative: X {could,did} not happen.
California SB1386 roughly says the same thing: If you cannot
prove that personal information was not spilled, then you
have to act as if it was.  About twenty states have followed
California's lead.  The surveillance requirements of both
SEC imposed-regulation and NYSE self-regulation seem always
to expand.  One of my (Verdasys) own customers failed a
SarbOx audit (by a big four accounting firm) because it
could not, in advance, *prove* that those who could change
the software (sysadmins) were unable in any way to change
the financial numbers and, in parallel, *prove* those who
could change the financial numbers (CFO & reports) were
unable to change the software environment.

my slightly different perspective is that audits in the past have somewhat been looking for inconsistencies from independent sources. this worked in the days of paper books from multiple different corporate sources. my claim with the current reliance on IT technology ... that the audited information can be all generated from a single IT source ... invalidating any assumptions about audits being able to look for inconsistencies from independent sources. A reasonable intelligent hacker could make sure that all the information was consistent.

a counter example is the IRS where individual reported income is correlated with other sources of reported financial information. however, i don't know how that could possibly work in the current environment where the corporation being audited is responsible for paying the auditors (cross checking information across multiple independent sources)

some past posts on the subject
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006h.html#33
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006i.html#1