Travis H. wrote:
So I was reading about the OTP system (based on S/Key) described in RFC 2289.
It basically hashes a secret several times (with salt to individualize
it) and stores
the value that the correct password will hash to.

Now my question is, if we restrict ourselves to, say, 160-bit inputs, is SHA-1 a permutation, or do collisions exist? If there are collisions, then iterating the hash could lead to fewer possible values each time, potentially converging on a set of inputs that form a permutation and are closed under composition.

Is that correct?

Yes.

What are the expected sizes of such sets?

More relevant is how many iterations it takes to get to a significantly smaller set.

Is it worth worrying about?

No.