I'm curious as to why the cops didn't just pull the plugs right away. It would probably take a while (minutes, hours?) to encrypt any significant amount of data. Not to
mention, where is the master key? The guy couldn't have jumped up and typed
in a pass phrase to generate it in handcuffs? Even if it got erased, it's image could be recovered from a disk or RAM. My understanding is that even tamperproof cards
one can get keys from them with the right equipment from the right folks.

- Alex

At 02:51 AM 12/23/2006 +1300, Peter Gutmann wrote:
Jim Gellman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>Well this just sucks if you ask me.
>> According to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), which confirmed that
>> Kostap had activated the encryption after being arrested, it would
>> have taken 400 computers twelve years to crack the code.
>Scales linearly, right?  4,800 computers'll get it in a year?

I don't think you can even apply that much analysis to it.  How exactly did
they come up with such a figure in the first place?  400 *what* computers?
TRS-80's?  Cray XT4's?  Does the encryption software come with a disclaimer
saying "if you forget your password, it'll take 400 computers 12 years to
recover your data"?  With that level of CPU power it sounds like it'd
something at the level of brute-forcing a 56-bit DES key (using a software-
only approach), which sounds like an odd algorithm to use if it's current
crypto software.  It sounds more like a quote for the media (or, more likely,
misreporting) than any real estimate of the effort involved.

Peter.

Alex Alten
[EMAIL PROTECTED]