Hello,

On 08/05/07 20:16, Ali, Saqib wrote:
> I was recently asked why not just deploy a Enterprise Right Management
> solution instead of using various encryption tools to prevent data
> leaks.
>
> Any thoughts?

The "encryption tools" function according to simple, well understood,
and more-or-less enforceable security models. Their assumptions are well
understood and, most importantly, match the environments they run on.
They solve a simple problem, and solve it effectively.

Rights management solutions have complex security models, and run in
environments that do not always satisfy the assumptions. They aim at
providing complex functionality, but they often (always?) fail to
deliver due to their over-complexity and unrealistic assumptions.

If your security needs can be met by the simple functional model of the
"encryption tools", then you will prefer to enjoy the assurance and the
reasonable robustness they provide, which is the most desirable feature
after all.

Hagai.

--
Hagai Bar-El - Information Security Analyst
T/F: 972-8-9354152 Web: www.hbarel.com