At 3:26 PM -0500 6/26/07, Nicolas Williams wrote:
I strongly dislike the WG's name.  Suffice it to say that it was not my
idea :); it created a lot of controversy at the time, though perhaps
that controversy helped sell the idea ("why would you want this silly,
insecure stuff?" "because it enables this other actually secure stuff").

Whereas I was in the camp of liking the name very much for the very reason that this thread was started: "because it lets you encrypt an arbitrary conversation with essentially no startup cost".

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium