On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 21:50:06 -0700
Bill Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sun's "Secure NFS" product from the 1980s had 192-bit Diffie-Hellman,
> and a comment in one of the O'Reilly NFS books says that
>          "However, by 1990, advances in RISC processors produced
>          workstation machines that could, by brute force,
>          derive the private key from any public key in under a day."
> but that in 1987 there were still a lot of Motorola 68010 machines
> that took several minutes to generate keys so they didn't want it
> longer. I'm guessing that a 1990 RISC machine was around 50 MIPS,
> so it's maybe 1/100 the speed of a modern single-core CPU.
>
> 128-bit DH sounds like as good a decision as using 40-bit RC4 keys
> would be today.

It wasn't just brute force, it was math.

@Article{         nfscrack,
  author        = {Brian A. LaMacchia and Andrew M. Odlyzko},
  journal       = {Designs, Codes, and Cryptography},
  pages         = {46--62},
  title         = {Computation of Discrete Logarithms in Prime Fields},
  volume        = {1},
  year          = {1991},
  annote        = {Describes how the authors cryptanalyzed Secure RPC.}
}