Leichter, Jerry wrote:

If the function is defined as I suggested - as a static or inline - you
can, indeed, takes its address.  (In the case of an inline, this forces
the compiler to materialize a copy somewhere that it might not otherwise
have produced, but not to actually *use* that copy, except when you take
the address.)  You are allowed to invoke the function using the address
you just took.  However, what in that tells you that the compiler -
knowing exactly what code will be invoked - can't elide the call?

Case of static function definition: the standard says that standard library headers *declare* functions, not *define* them.

Case of inline: I don't know if inline definition falls in the standard definition of declaration.

Also, the standard refers to these identifiers as external linkage. This language *might* not creare a mandatory provision if there was a compelling reason to have static or inline implementation, but I doubt the very infrequent use of (memset)(?,0,?) instead of memset(?,0,?) is a significant optimization opportunity. The compiler writer risks a non-compliance assessment in making such strectched reading of the standard in the present instance, for no gain in any benchmark or production software speed measurement.

Obviously, a pointer to an external linkage scope function must adhere to the definition of pointer equality (==) operator.

Maybe a purposedly stretched reading of the standard might let you make your point. I don't want to argue too theoretically. Peter and I just want to clear memory!

Kind regards,

--

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.