On Jan 3, 2008, at 9:52 AM, Alan wrote:

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 08:30 -0500, Richard Salz wrote:
In my personal experience, if you are developing a mass-market item with conventional crypto (e.g., SSL, S/MIME, etc ) then it is fairly routine to
get a commodity export license which lets you sell globally.

Disclaimers abound, including that I'm not a lawyer and certainly don't
speak for IBM.

My question was more on the lines of "what gets rejected", not "what
does it take to do it".

Is there some technology that they are so afraid of that they still
won't let it ship or does it just matter who you are, not what it is?

They let strong crypto through all the time. I can't imagine what *technology* you couldn't get through. Definitely, however, there are *people* who couldn't get an export license because they've been bad in the past.

So the answer to your questions is that they're vetting who you are far more than what you're exporting.

        Jon