[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 08:52:07AM +1000, James A. Donald wrote:
From time to time I hear that DNSSEC is working fine, and on examining the matter I find it is "working fine" except that ....

Seems to me that if DNSSEC is actually working fine, I should be able to provide an authoritative public key for any domain name I control, and should be able to obtain such keys for other domain names, and use such keys for any purpose, not just those purposes envisaged in the DNSSEC specification. Can I? It is not apparent to me that I can.

actually, the DNSSEC specification -used- to support keys for "any purpose", and in theory you could use
        DNSSEC keys in that manner.  However a bit of careful
        thought suggests that there is potential  disconnect btwn
the zone owner/admin who creates/distributes the keys as a token of the integrity and authenticity of the data in
        the DNS, and the owner/admin of the node to which the DNS
        data points.

So far, so good. This disconnect doesn't seem to have done the CA industry any harm, though.

      Remember that while you may control your forward
        name (and not many people actually run their own DNS servers)
        it is less likely that you run your address maps - and for
the paranoid, you would want to ensure the forward and reverse zones are signed and at the intersection, there is
        a common data element which you can use.

Non sequiteur, plus I can't see why paranoia would prompt me to want to do this? What does it prove?

Also, PTR records are only supposed to point to "primary domain names". Since it is common for hosts to have many names resolving to the same IP address, by definition most of these will not correspond to the reverse lookup.

        To do what you want, want, you might consider using the
        CERT-rr, using the DNS to distribute host-specific keys/certs.
        And to ensure that the data in the DNS was not tampered with,
        using DNSSEC signed zones with CERT-rr's would not be a bad
        thing.   In fact, thats what we are testing .

Who is "we" and what exactly are you testing?

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html           http://www.links.org/