"David G. Koontz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>zooko wrote:
>>  "US export control regulations prevent Sun from opensourcing the crypto
>> portion of N2.".
>
>You've got to admit, that the work load for implementation is quite a bit
>higher without the PCI-E, 10GE MACs, and crypto, for a piece of competitive
>silicon.  All the sudden you don't have that 'Server On a Chip' that Sun
>sells.

That's a thought I'd had as well, using the Dank Defence ("these nasty people
are holding a gun to our head and forcing us to do this even though we don't
want to") is the easy way out when your real reason is "we don't want to
release this because it's giving too much away to potential competitors".

>The net result is still that you can't compete directly with Sun, but you can
>still expand the range of applications for Sun processors, and oh by the way,
>Sun's silicon works perfectly well in any new markets.  It still walks like a
>duck.

Yup.

Peter.