At 06:58 PM 7/9/2008 -0400, Leichter, Jerry wrote:
Ah, where the web is going.  8e6 Technologies sells a hardware box
that it claims does signature analysis to detect HTTP proxies and
blocks them.  It can also block HTTPS proxies "that do not have a
valid certificate" (whatever that means), as well as do such things
as block IM, force Google and Yahoo searches to be done in Safe
mode, and so on.

They're marketing this to the education community (with the typical
horror stories of the problems your school district can run into
if students use proxies to get around your rules).

What I find most interesting, though, is that the company, based
in California, has an overseas presence in exactly two other
countries:  Taiwan and China.  One doesn't need much imagination
to see what market they are going after there....

Ah, the memories. 8e6 is the censorware company formerly known as both X-Stop and Log-On Data, that scoured the interwebs with its notorious Mudcrawler. One of our reports: http://censorware.net/reports/xstop/index.html