Jim Youll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Sep 24, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>> The whole point of the study (which you feel had an "inappropriate
>> tone") and of such gedankenexperiments is to understand the problem
>> space better.
>
> Clarification: not the study.
>
> I believe the article had an inappropriate tone. Calling victims of
> inadequate user interfaces

I don't think all the interfaces in question are inadequate. There are
glaring exceptions, such as the various interfaces in browsers to
determine if an SSL connection is trustworthy. However, not all the
interfaces are inadequate.

> "idiots" is inappropriate and spits in the face of the evidence.

Does it? Are there really no people to whom one can apply that involved?

I have heard of cases in which, in spite of having been told point
blank by security people not to send any further money to a 419
scammer, people have continued sending it because, after asking the
419 people if they were a scam, were assured by them that they were
legitimate. Indeed, I've heard of worse. Short of of a court imposed
conservatorship, how is one to protect someone like that?

It is clear that user interfaces will always need to to allow people
to do things like transferring money or installing software, and it is
equally clear that such operations will always have some potential for
danger. Some people will not pay attention to warning signs of danger
in such interfaces regardless of how prominently they are displayed,
and we cannot make such things perfectly safe.

We can fancy up our language if you insist. For example, we can be
more polite (by speaking of users with "limited security problem
detection skills" and such). However, in the end, not all of these
people are victims of anything other than themselves.

> It's still a fact that when a majority of a population of operators
> of any equipment is experiencing poor outcomes just using it as
> normal people do, then there is a screaming need to fix that
> equipment.

Actually, a majority don't experience trouble. A majority *are*
infected with malware, but not because of any fault of their own --
driveby and other infection systems are just too pervasive, and the
majority use an operating system that is very full of holes.

However, most people seem to recognize 419 scams, phishing email,
etc. The problem is that a substantial minority do not, and a worse
problem is that a fraction of those cannot regardless of how much
"user education" is applied.

As I noted, we should indeed improve our interfaces, reduce
the number of opportunities such people have for causing themselves
harm (thus the notion of "always on security" etc.) and take all other
reasonable measures.

However, it is important, as I said, to see the limits. Some people
will always aim the gun at their feet and fire, no matter how many
trigger interlocks we add.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                [EMAIL PROTECTED]