On Dec 26, 2008, at 2:39 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:

d...@geer.org writes:

I'm hoping this is just a single instance but it makes you remember that the browser pre-trusted certificate authorities really needs to be cleaned up.

Given the more or less complete failure of commercial PKI for both SSL web browsing and code-signing (as evidenced by the multibillion-dollar cybercrime industry freely doing all the things that SSL certs and code-signing were
supposed to prevent them from doing), it's not so much "cleaned up" as
"replaced with something that may actually work"....
I just had an interesting experience with a different sort of failure: I tried to buy a DVD from The Teaching Company (www.teach12.com ). When I went to check out - or even if when I connect to the top level at https://www.teach12.com - I get a complaint that their cert is signed by a unknown authority. It turns out that they recently put an EV certificate in place. It's issued by "VeriSign Class 3 Extended Validation SSL SGC CA" - which neither Safari 3.2.1 nor Firefox 3.0.5 on my Mac have ever heard of!

I got in touch with the company and actually received intelligent responses both at their 800 number - I placed my order that way - and in a response from their customer service people. Most remarkable - almost all organizations ignore such communication. It's ironic that those who appear to be trying the hardest are being screwed over by the system that's currently in place - and will inadvertently be involved in training users to simply bypass yet another kind of bad cert warning.

(I can highly recommend the courses that The Teaching Company distributes, by the way. I usually borrow them from the library, but I've bought a few of the best here and there - especially when they have sales, as they do right now.)

                                                        -- Jerry