"Weger, B.M.M. de" <b.m.m.d.we...@tue.nl> writes:

>> Bottom line, anyone fielding a SHA-2 cert today is not going=20
>> to be happy with their costly pile of bits.
>
>Will this situation have changed by the end of 2010 (that's next year, by the
>way), when everybody who takes NIST seriously will have to switch to SHA-2?

I have a general outline of a timeline for adoption of new crypto mechanisms
(e.g. OAEP, PSS, that sort of thing, and not specifically algorithms) in my
Crypto Gardening Guide and Planting Tips,
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/crypto_guide.txt, see "Question J"
about 2/3 of the way down.  It's not meant to be definitively accurate for all
cases but was created as a rough guideline for people proposing to introduce
new crypto mechanisms to give an idea of how long they should expect to wait
to see them adopted.

Peter.