Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 4:05 PM
Subject: MD6 withdrawn from SHA-3 competition

Also from Bruce Schneier, a report that MD6 was withdrawn from the SHA-3
competition because of performance considerations.

I find this disappointing. With the rate of destruction of primitives in any such competition I would've liked to see them let it stay until it is either broken or at least until the second round. A quick glance at the SHA-3 zoo and you won't see much left with no attacks. It would be different if it was yet another M-D, using AES as a foundation, blah, blah, blah, but MD6 is a truly unique and interesting design.

I hope the report is wrong, and in keeping that hope alive, the MD6 page has no statement about the withdrawl. Joe