d...@geer.org wrote:
I don't honestly think that this is new, but even
if it is, a 9-digit random number has a 44% chance
of being a valid SSN (442 million issued to date).

I wonder if the UK NI numbers suffer from a similar problem.

The look a little like this:  AB 12 34 56 C

Information on how they are strutured is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Insurance#National_Insurance_number

However given we don't use the NI number in the UK like the SSN is abused in the US there isn't the same security risk in guessing them. Although the Wikipedia article claims they are sometimes used for identification I know I have never been asked for mine other than by an employer or suitably authorised government body how has a real need to know.

--
Darren J Moffat