On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, Bernie Cosell wrote:

Anyhow, are there any (not *too* technical) books on the modern
techniques for attacking cryptosystems?

Really depends what you mean by "attacking"; there are attacks at the protocol level (e.g., padding-oracle attacks), at the crypto level (e.g., differential cryptanalysis), and at the physical level (e.g., side-channel attacks).

As a general introduction to modern crypto that covers the first two categories a bit, I recommend "Introduction to Modern Cryptography" by myself and Y. Lindell (soon to come out with a 2nd edition containing even more attacks!).

For block-cipher cryptanalysis, I have been very impressed by the material in "The Block Cipher Companion" by Knudsen and Robshaw.