On 28/06/11 1:01 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
And this discussion of ASCII and internationalization has what to do with
cryptography,

I personally think this list is about users of crypto, rather than cryptographers-creators in particular. The former are mostly computer scientists who think in block-algorithm form, the latter are more the mathematicians.

As a crypto-plumber (computer science user of crypto) I think it is impossible to divorce crypto from all the other security techniques. All the way up the stack.

Or, talking about non-crypto security techniques like passwords is punishment for mucking up the general deployment of better crypto techniques.

asks the person on the list is who is probably most capable of arguing about it
but won't? [1]

--Paul Hoffman

[1] RFC 3536, and others

iang