On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:01 AM, Ian G <i...@iang.org> wrote:
> On 13/07/11 9:25 AM, Marsh Ray wrote:
>>
>> On 07/12/2011 04:24 PM, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:

>>> This is an excellent objection. I think this shows that most crypto
>>> systems have bad usability in their key management (SSL, PGP). People
>>> don't use such systems if they can help it, and when they do they
>>> often use them wrong.
>>
>> But the entire purpose of securing a system is to deny access to the
>> protected resource.
>
> And that's why it doesn't work;  we end up denying access to the protected
> resource.
>
> Security is just another function of business, it's not special.

Unless of course, your business IS (all about) security. :D

> The purpose of security is to improve the profitability of the resource.
> Protecting it is one tool to serve security & profits, and re-engineering it
> so it doesn't need any protection is another tool... There are many such
> tools :)

I disagree with this statement and think it is an overgeneralization.

At its core, security is about "ensuring trust" and "managing risk",
not about improving the profitability of the resource. Protecting a
resource certain is a component of it, but IMO, it is way too far
reaching to state that this is "the purpose" of security.

-kevin
We *cause* accidents."        -- Nathaniel Borenstein