On 2012-03-30 10:10 PM, StealthMonger wrote:

> Adam Back<a...@cypherspace.org>  writes:
>
>> Not sure that we lost the crypto wars. US companies export full strength >> crypto these days, and neither the US nor most other western counties have
>> mandatory GAK.  Seems like a win to me
>
> Nope.  If we had won, crypto would be in widespread use today for
> email.

We did not understand what software was needed, and have not supplied it.

Widespread use of encryption requires end to end encryption. Mapping names to keys is too much work for the end user if it is additional task on top of doing what needs doing, so people do not bother.

Need a zooko triangle like system in which your key is your ID.

If key is your ID, need a system that substitutes for DNS which maps keys to network addresses. (Does bitcoin map keys to network addresses?. I don't think it could work unless it does.)

If encryption is end to end, needs to replace tcp with something built on top of udp which supports NAT penetration.

So need a DNS and tcp replacement.

And, since committees are always a security hole (the committee always comes under hostile state influence) the tcp/DNS replacement needs to have an arbitrary and potentially large number of bits identifying the protocol, instead of being limited to eight or sixteen bits of protocol identification as tcp is, and a potentially multi step protocol negotiation allowing client and server to search for a shared protocol of a class, so that we can avoid the need for an ICANN

ICANN, and the states it represents, was implicit in thirty two bit network addresses and in the eight to sixteen bit protocol identifiers of tcp.