On 2012-06-19 9:07 AM, d...@deadhat.com wrote:
It does tell you that if it is your chip and you don't let
someone else pull the lid off, scrape off the passivation and apply a pico
probe to it, it will certainly provide you with good random numbers
regardless of the FIPS mode.

I don't know that. Intel might have screwed up deliberately or unintentionally, or my particular chip might fail in a way that produces numbers that are non random, but, due to whitening, are non random in a way that only some people know how to detect

If intel told me how it worked, and provided low level access to raw unwhitened output, I could find pretty good evidence that the low level randomness generator was working as described, and perfect evidence that the whitener was working as described. Certification does not tell me anything much.