On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM, mhey...@gmail.com <mhey...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Every three months I, the Grantor, [store] my secret in a new
> place that [...] I give to the trustee,

the frequency of key update would be driven by decay rate and coding
gain assuming you had a reliably decaying, surreptitious read
resistant, method of storing secrets.

> If I should die, I will stop [updating] the secret and the trustee
> (that I never really trusted) can [read] the secret.

this approach fails safe.
that is to say: if you assume a decaying key with frequent rekey
schedule and limited longevity auth revocation of your dead man last
rights is withdrawn easily and quickly, while also providing a means
to disclose the trigger should legitimate death occur.

contesting an imminent trigger, group key agreement, M of N keying,
variations on this common theme,

... yes; still, key management left as exercise for the reader
 ;)