On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Nico Williams <n...@cryptonector.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not really convinced that using an email address in the plaintext
>> for the SRP protocol is finding-worthy, considering email addresses
>> are public information. And I'm very skeptical that its a critical
>> finding.
>
> It... depends.  If you need privacy protection for the client ID then
> you need it, no?  I can't tell you if you do.  You must decide this.
> For most applications I think privacy protection for the client ID is
> not really necessary.

I should have added that this sort of finding from a pen tester (or
any type of audit) is just that.  You generally get to decide that you
don't need the missing feature (privacy prot. for the client ID) in
this or that case.

That said, my advice would be to hash IDs if you can: it gets you a
modicum of privacy protection, and if it's cheap enough then
additional protection is worth having.

Lack of client ID privacy protection can lead to some attacks such as
password guesses based on the ID or knowledge of the person that ID is
for.  If you were working for a spy agency (say), you'd definitely
want priv. prot. for the client ID!

So you get to decide what level of protection you want for the client ID:

 - none
 - pseudonymous (hash the IDs)
 - privacy protection relative to passive attackers (run over a TLS
channel with anon DH cipher suites)
 - privacy protection relative to passive and active attackers (run
over a TLS channel with server cert)

Nico