Just to top-post on that - I did read up on a lot more references [0], and I see that the claim is that the CA concerned issued the intermediates by mistake. They caught one of them later on and fixed it. The second they did not catch.

The holder of the second intermediate then installed it on a Checkpoint device. An MITM was initiated, as evidenced by Chrome picking it up.

I'm not ready to believe that the Checkpoint software suddenly became self-aware and started MITMing the users. Checkpoint ain't Skynet. What seems more likely is that the holder of the intermediate had some ideas and tried them out. And then tried to cover up.

But whatever. The short story I see so far is that the CA made a mistake. Rectified it once, not twice. Got caught out. Boom.

iang

[0] So I could update my Risk History:
http://wiki.cacert.org/Risk/History#h2012.5