On 13/01/13 22:47 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Warren Kumari <war...@kumari.net> wrote:

On Jan 12, 2013, at 4:27 AM, ianG <i...@iang.org> wrote:

On 11/01/13 02:59 AM, Jon Callas wrote:

The Amazon FAQ for Silk did at least say:
"We will establish a secure connection from the cloud to the site owner on your
behalf for page requests of sites using SSL (e.g. https://siteaddress.com). Amazon Silk
will facilitate a direct connection between your device and that site. Any security
provided by these particular sites to their users would still exist."
while they were doing this.

There was some flap, grumpiness about this, see for example:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/amazons-kindle-fire-silk-browser-has-serious-security-concerns/1516

That's in contrast to my site's Terms of Service, which expressly forbids it.

Well, I'm glad some see the penny drop on this one.

The issue here is that Nokia have crafted an agreement by hook or by crook with the phone user. But they have forgotten that an SSL connection is between the user and the site.

An online bank is party to that. If there is any difficulty, such as a phishing thing or even an insider attack at Nokia, then Nokia will be nailed to the cross in court. They are screwed, legally, because they offered the deal but materially broke the contract.

More particularly, banks will have a cause of action against their CA, which has not apparently batted an eye about the breach of the security model. Sure, so everyone is doing this. Sure, so there is a really good optimisation argument.

Unfortunately, it broke the security assumptions. SSL is so wedded to the point-to-point or client-to-server model that there is really no way around this.

iang

NO UNLAWFUL INTERCEPTION

Software Integrity users expect end-to-end security. We prohibit
proxying or interception of communication for any protocols or ports
over any medium including, but not limited to, SSL/TLS, VPN, HTTP,
HTTPS, SHTTP, SMTP, SSMTP, IMAP, IMAP4-SSL, IMAPS, POP, and SSL-POP,
including electronic, analog or digital voice, analog or digital data,
wired, wireless, and cellular.

Assuming one of these Interception Accelerators visited my site on
behalf of a user, I believe that means they have exceeded their
authority. Perhaps I should ask someone like Weev what happens to
folks who do that (who was convicted of aggregating public data from a
public service hung off a public internet). Should I press for a CFAA
violation? Or should I ask for injunctive relief from the folks who
destroy the secure channel?

Jeff