Isn't that equivalent to sender doing XOR on the plaintext, recipient doing
XOR on first ciphertext, sender doing another XOR on second ciphertext to
create third ciphertext, and the recipient doing XOR again to get plaintext?

That's key-reuse and breaks XOR/OTP. The middleman simply XORs the
ciphertexts with each other to get the key and then decrypts the first
ciphertext. He just simply needs to record all ciphertexts. The same basic
method applies for the noise application/removal.