On 2013-07-01 8:55 AM, Nadim Kobeissi wrote:
On 2013-06-30, at 3:44 AM, James A. Donald <jam...@echeque.com> wrote:

On 2013-06-30 5:13 PM, Danilo Gligoroski wrote:
This was expected.
As Skype definitely ruined its reputation as free end-to-end application for
secure communication, other products are taking their chances.

"Agencies showing sudden interest in encrypted comm" ---
http://gcn.com/blogs/cybereye/2013/06/agencies-sudden-interest-encrypted-com
m.aspx

Silent Circle expects end users to manage their own keys, which is of course the only way for end users to be genuinely secure. Everything else is snake oil, or rapidly turns into snake oil in practice. (Yes, Cryptocat, I am looking at you)
You seem to be implying that Cryptocat does not manage keys on the end-user side. This is false � Cryptocat users do manage their own keys on the client side, in fact.

According to the paper, there are no long term public and private keys. ID is therefore wholly username and password

   Cryptocat does not currently store long-term key pairs (see x 9.2),
   need to be generated, along with DSA pa-rameters, each time
   the application is launched

Which of course does not make cryptocat inherently insecure, or fatally flawed, but nonetheless, does not provide the security that would come from users managing their own keys, if ever we managed to provide an interface where users successfully managed their own keys without screwing up.