I do not think it is a narrow difference.  End point compromise via
subpoena, physical seizing, or court mandated disclosure are far different
things than pre-emptive storing and later decryption.  The scale at which a
society will do them, and tolerate doing them given their inherently
increased visibility is much curtailed.  Trying to do wide scale MITM is
much harder, than hoovering ciphertext and then after the fact obtaining
keys by whatever method is expedient, legal/extra-legal, secret
particularized warrant, secret general warrants, government authorized
malware, etc.  All of these things are apparently happening on scale larger
than authorized by society.

Having to physically seize systems, issue individualized subpoenas to a
generally public court process based on articulated suspicion creates a
natural balance vs general warrants that the US rightly fought a revolution
against my ancesters, the British over.

Basically unless you think PRISM is a good idea, you should use DH.