If the server isn't trusted enough to be allowed to know how many
devices there are behind one proxy/IP address, then cookies should
never be reused, otherwise it might be able to tell that there's
simultaneously maybe 5 or so different cookies being used when sending
time requests from the same IP. In that case it should only be used as
a single-round protocol. Or you set up a local time server for all
local computers to use, but I'm not sure that would work everywhere
(such as for hotspots, can't always get the client to use your local
timeserver).

Exactly how untrusted is the server assumed to be?