Bote mail doesn't have to be used for it's anonymous properties, for me
that is just a bonus. For many people it is more than enough to be able to
know that it is impossible for anybody else than the intended recipient to
read the message thanks to public key addressing. Guaranteed end-to-end
security if you can verify the address.

I don't think anything that doesn't fundamentally rely on public key
addressing is the (long term) future. There will inevitably issues
otherwise, including more issues of the type we have with CA:s today.

For those who want to make it more user friendly, nothing stops you from
adding a transparent "address translation layer" where servers are
involved. When you want to send a message to a person with a human readable
address at a server, then the server could then reply with the public key
based address to the mail client, and the user would have the option to see
what that address is. It could even be logged by the client, with TOFU/POP
style trust system that reduces the amount of trust you have to place in
the server. No need to trust anybody with plaintext.

- Sent from my phone