> when you give someone your ABA routing number and account
>number.  An account number for incoming funds only (drop box?) would
>solve a number of these problems.

Actually there are inbound-only ACH account numbers, but only
businesses use them.  ACH transfers are reversible, so they're not
very useful for fraud unless you can ensure that the victim won't
notice before you have time for the transfer to complete and for you
to clean out the account.

>Unfortunately, the brain dead payment geniuses in (for instance) the
>United States manage to design a payment system that permits third
>parties to order drafts (e-checks) against arbitrary account numbers
>in order to (for instance) enable e-payments to be pulled from
>checking accounts at the prompting of the payee.

Same thing, they're reversible.

One security model is to make sure that nothing bad ever happens, the
other is to admit that bad things will happen and make provision for
reversing them.  In the US at least, bank security is mostly the
latter and only a little bit the former.  Bank wires are not usually
reversible, which is why there's no such thing as a pull bank wire,
and why crooks like to break into business web accounts and send wires
to their overseas selves.

My bank does fairly credible 2FA for wires.  I have to punch the last
digits of the recipient account number into my physical security token
and enter the code it provides, which I'd think would make it pretty
hard to do most of the MITM tricks.

http://obvious.services.net/2013/07/better-have-big-pockets-if-you-want.html

R's,
John