On 2014-06-19, at 10:42 PM, Lodewijk andré de la porte <l...@odewijk.nl> wrote:

> With common algorithms, how much would a LOT of storage help?

Well, with an unimaginable amount of storage it is possible to shave a few bits
off of AES.

As {Bogdanov, Andrey and Khovratovich, Dmitry and Rechberger, Christian} say in
Biclique Cryptanalysis of the Full AES (ASIACRYPT 2011) [PDF at
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/cryptanalysis/aesbc.pdf ]

"This approach for 8-round AES-128 yields a key recovery with computational
complexity about 2^125.34, data complexity 2^88, memory complexity 2^8, and
success probability 1.”

It’s that 2^88 that requires a LOT of storage. I’m not sure if that 2^88) is in
bits or AES blocks, but let’s assume bits. Facebook is said to store about 2^62
bits, so we are looking at something 2^26 times larger than Facebook’s data
storage.

> I know this one organization that seems to be building an omnious observation
> storage facility,

Any (reliable) estimates on how big?

Cheers,

-j