On 18/02/2015 14:56 pm, Tom Ritter wrote:
On 18 February 2015 at 06:20, ianG <i...@iang.org> wrote:
Wow.  I never even knew that existed!

Is there any experience of of the word list in use?  Any research?

On the face of it, it would make things a lot easier for ordinary people to
share that hex stuff when doing known key exchanges.

An observation:  calling it the PGP word list is just boring.  It needs an
exciting name that gets people looking it up out of curiosity.

I'm not aware of anything real spectacular, the topic was discussed
quite a bit on the messaging mailing list though.

https://moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/messaging/2014/thread.html
Specifically the threads:
Useability of public-key fingerprints
Short Auth Strings
Word list for English Words

We had tried to get a small usability study run in the field:
https://github.com/tomrittervg/crypto-usability-study but it kind of
petered out.  If anyone wanted to use that or build on it though,
they're free to.

I just realised one barrier -- language. It uses the English language, and PGP might be stronger in Europe than in the anglo world.

So perhaps the wordset should be retuned to being some form of internationalised english, words that are recognisable by a wide set of cultures?

Things like: weekend, manyana, angst, perestroika, bollywood, ...

just a thought.

iang