I haven't tried it, but OpenVPN has a --float option. I haven't had a chance
to try it myself, but it will handover to a new IP address, essentially
giving roaming over unreliable link style connectivity.

See: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/49

What would be even nicer is some sort of mosh-like functionality where
the connectivity can remain long-lived (for when your laptop/phone
suspends).

- Naveen