I'm embarrassed by the long, rambling post. It was notes to myself,
which I then circulated to my friends and forwarded without editing.
I should summarize.

0) Bitcoin is amazing technology.  Truly neat.  Many related ideas,
   must have taken a long time to develop.  Impressive.  Caught
   me way off guard back when it was posted here.
1) Can we use SAT (or another NPC problem) as a POW?
   If I'm not mistaken doing hash preimage attacks is a SAT solver.
2) Can we efficiently enumerate the aforementioned NPC problem space
   and map to and from ordinals?
3) Would there be any problems in allowing people to solve a problem
   defined in advance, rather than having it vary based on the current
   block?
4) Would it be useful to decouple any of the aspects of the block chain
   from each other?  Could one decouple the financial impacts from the
   cryptographic operations from the persistent, distributed storage?
5) Would it be useful to create hash lattices rather than a single
   chain for some purposes?  What other structures might be useful?
6) Could we create markets around the various services required to
   implement the block chain in a way that creates incentives that
   align with the overall goals? In other words, can the design
   be a game-creating-game which serves a higher goal.  The
   work product of mining can be polished and resold in jewelry,
   perhaps in other markets.  This could pay for running the chain
   storage.
7) Can that goal include more efficient software and hardware?
   Mine for great good.
8) Other than this list, where else might I find influential
   people who know more than I about this stuff, to pick their
   brain?  I am in SF/BA, IRL, if that matters.
9) I'm sure there are problems with this idea.  If you would kindly
   correct my inadequate understanding I would much appreciate.

--
http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/ | if spammer then j...@subspacefield.org
"Computer crime, the glamor crime of the 1970s, will become in the