What matters is not the certificate.  The certificate is public.  You can’t
“steal" a certificate.

What you *can* steal is the private key associated with a certificate, and the
more time goes by the more likely it becomes that someone has done so.

However, the expiration date is completely arbitrary.  There’s nothing magic
that happens on the expiration date that makes a cert significantly less secure
the day after it expires than it was the day before.  The whole idea of an
expiration date (rather than an issue date) on a certificate is a sort of a
scam by the CAs to coerce people into renewing (and hence paying for) their
certificates on a regular schedule.  I think some CAs don’t even enforce the
use of a new key when a cert is renewed, which defeats the whole purpose.

But all of this is rather a moot point nowadays.  Now that letsencrypt is live,
there is no reason to pay for a cert any more.

rg