Lucky Green wrote:

> I share John's dislike for the (thoroughly ineffective, except in making
> the lives of legitimate users more difficult) anti-spam zealots ...

Actually I'm not sure it has been completely ineffective.  Cutting the
numbers of open relays won't be an effective anti-spam measure until
there are almost none left.  I saw figures implying that the proportion
of open relays is now well below 10%, from nearly 100% a few years ago.
Pretty soon open relays will become unusable for legitimate users, not
because of anti-spam campaigners, but because they will be relaying so
much spam!  This may cause the decline to accelerate in the near future.

If you want to run an open relay, why not make it ask for hashcash
before it accepts mail?

> ... cypherpunks.to of course supports IPSec under both IPv4 and
> IPv6 in addition to higher-level encryption protocols such as smtp's
> STARTTLS).

I don't know if it's still like it, but I remember years ago, to post to
alt.hackers you had to forge an Approved: header line.  I've sometimes
thought that it would be nice to do the same thing with IPsec or IPv6.
Imagine a clone of Kuro5hin or Slashdot, but with the extra hurdle that
you have to use IPv6 (probably using 6 over 4 encapsulation) or
opportunistic IPsec.  You would automatically exclude non-hackers.

More importantly, such a development would encourage deployment of those
technologies across the Internet.  As more content emerges that is
inaccessible to people using only plain IPv4, it creates an incentive to
switch.  The more people that switch, especially to IPv6, the more
likely it is that more similar content will emerge.

--
Pete