On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 08:16:58 UTC+1, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> > The error is:

>>> CryptoPP::SHA512::Transform at
>>>
>>> This is the one we cannot duplicate. Unfortunately, there's nothing we
>>> can do for this one until we can duplicate it.
>>>

>> The command I used to build cryptopp was:
>> CXX=/opt/solarisstudio12.4/bin/CC make -j20
>>

> That's interesting. Is make linked to GNU's make? Or another make?

It is GNU make.

>> Can someone, maybe Jeff, please let me know what command was tried to
>> reproduce the problem on Solaris 11 SPARC. It may be that I am not building
>> cryptopp properly.
>>

> The commands I run during smoke testing are either:
>
>   (1) straight gmake    # default C++ compiler
>   (2) CXX=.../CC gmake    # SunCC compiler

Step 2 is just what I do.

> We added a section at
> https://cryptopp.com/wiki/Solaris_(Command_Line)#Default_Make. It shows
> the commands and the outputs we see when we run the commands.

That section is very helpful, thanks for writing it. It shows that the
command is:

CC -DNDEBUG -g3 -xO2 -m64 -native -KPIC -template=no%extdef -c

whereas what I get is:

CC -DNDEBUG -g3 -xO2 -fPIC -pipe -m64 -native -KPIC -template=no%extdef -w
-erroff=wvarhidemem -erroff=voidretw -c

So I get the extra options -pipe -w -erroff=wvarhidemem -erroff=voidretw

The -pipe option causes:

CC: Warning: Option -pipe passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored otherwise

to be emitted.

Maybe CountWords could check that the pointer X is not null and throw
InvalidArgument if it is? I know that represents a coding error since the
pointer should never be null but it is null in my case and this is crashing
our test harness. Hopefully a nullity check will not be deemed too
expensive.