> SHA-1 has an additional opportunity for speedup by avoiding the
> ByteReverse at
> https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/blob/master/iterhash.cpp#L98. It
> saves about 0.6 cpb, and makes SHA-1 run around the theoretical maximum.
> SHA-1 was moving data at 1.7 to 1.8 cpb (down from about 2.5 cpb).
>
> I thought it was going to be a quick cut-in, but I was mistaken. The
> change at https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/commit/bd7aa155a6c7 made
> SHA-1 run faster, but also broke Tiger and SEAL. So it had to be backed out.
>
> The next attempt added a SHA1::HashMultipleBlocks override. It worked as
> expected, but it also broke SEAL. I'm not sure why it broke SEAL.

The updated check-in happened at
https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/commit/de1270656c275. It also fixed
SEAL, which used SHA1::Transform.

On AMD server chips we are at about 1.7 cpb. On the low end Celeron I have,
its around 2.0 cpb. I'm guessing Intel desktops will perform about as well
as AMD.

Jeff