On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 1:12 AM, Marcel Raad <marci...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 01.08.2017 6:57 vorm. schrieb "Jeffrey Walton" <noloa...@gmail.com>:
>
> I was thinking we could nuke MMX and ISSE, and make Whirlpool's minimum
> SSE2.
>
> Any objections?
>
> if this is only about Whirlpool, I don't have any objections.

Yes, it looks like it affects only whirlpool.

> But we still
> have to support Pentium II at work unfortunately, which has MMX and Pentium
> Pro extensions, but no ISSE (this is the same as SSE1, right?). Visual C++
> also still supports targeting Pentium II as a minimum.

I think ISSE was the precursor to SSE2. I don't know if its considered SSE1.

Looking at Whirlpool, this is the guard:

#if CRYPTOPP_BOOL_SSE2_ASM_AVAILABLE
if (HasISSE())
{
}
#endif

If targeting a machine with only MMX and ISSE, then you were probably
never getting the specialized implementation. You likely only got the
C++ implementation.

Jeff